Monday, October 21, 2013

Weeks 2 and 3 - Victorian Houses

Week 02 - Victorian Houses Round 1

So even though this is being put on the same day, I'm doing separate posts just because I'm organized like that i guess. Week 2 had me doing three concepts for the house that will be in the game. The only description I had to go off was Victorian/Forrest Gump so I did some research and finally managed to figure out the characteristics of Victorian architecture, which is a pain in the ass to design. I found myself having to do the roof layout just to understand how the house would be built. So with that i got my three concepts.
My first concept was a more classic/traditional style Victorian house. I noted how these tended to have somewhat complex layouts for the architecture, and designing this proved to be confusing at times.


My second concept was more of a manor style Victorian house, with it having a double balcony/porch thing and the house being mostly symmetrical. I used more extravagant architecture in some areas like the pillars and the decorative molding on the corners.


My third house was more directly influenced by the house from Forrest Gump, at least the pictures of it, as I'v never seen the movie. This house is more of a plantation style Victorian House, with it being less decorative and complex but still having aspects of Victorian architecture such as the double balcony and the bay window.


Well, in the end, design number 2 won which led into last weeks homework.

Week 3 - Victorian Houses Round 2

Last week left me in charge of the house, and I was tasked with creating a house more in the style of my second concept from before with elements taken from one of my classmates first and third house designs. Another classmate came up to me and offered an idea about having two towers which I liked. So in the end i wound up with Four variations of the house. Here's the reference image I used so i could figure out what elements to take from the other concepts.


My first concept has the house in a U shape with the towers at the front. I implemented the roof style from my classmates first concept, and took the window styles from the third and implemented them into all the designs. Also notable is that they all have the double balcony with pillars and a symmetrical layout, just like my second house concept.


My second concept is a slight variation of my second concept from last week, with two circular towers instead of one geometric one and some extrusions on the front and back of the house.


My third concept I feel is more palatial, it feels more like a giant palace. Either way, the main point with this design is that the towers are now at the back of the house instead of the front. I also extended the bottom porch outward to give it more of a traditional Victorian vibe.


And lastly, my fourth concept was centered around the idea of a long, narrow house. The towers are right up front in this design, with a narrow courtyard leading up to the entrance.


We'll see who wins this round. I personally like all of them fairly equally, so it doesn't really matter much to me who wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment